Alayne is a graduate of the Institute of Children’s Literature (ICL) course in Writing for Children and Teenagers. After nomination by the ICL faculty, Alayne also completed their advanced course in Writing and Selling Children’s Books. She is the creator and teacher of a picture book writing course Art of Arc:How to Analyze Your Picture Book Manuscript.
Other Completed Courses:
- Intensive Picture Book Course with Anastasia Suen
- Making Picture Book Magic with Susanna Leonard Hill
- Mira Reisberg’s and Marsha Diane Arnold’s Writing Wonderful Character-Driven Picture Books course through The Children’s Book Academy
- Emma Walton Hamilton’s Just Write for Middle Grade and Chapter Books
- Mira Reisberg’s and Hillary Homzie’s The Chapter Book Alchemist course through The Children’s Book Academy
- Currently taking Kristen Fulton's Nonfiction Archeology Course
- Andrea Brown Literary's Big Sur at Cape Cod May 2016 Children's Writer Workshop Weekend
- SCBWI Workshop Tammi’s Top Picture Book Writing Secrets with Tammi Sauer and Janee Trasler
- Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen and Kami Kinard’s Kid Lit Summer School: Building Characters
- Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen and Kami Kinard’s Kid Lit Summer School: The Plot Thickens
- Children’s Book Academy Workshop, Rules to Break and Make Your Picture Book with Ariel Richardson, Miranda Paul, and Mira Reisburg
- Various webinars and SCBWI conference workshops on writing children's books
Alayne is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. She is an active participant in the 12 x 12 writing community, an annual participant in the Picture Book Idea Month challenge and a member of many other writing groups. She is the founder and administrator of Sub Six, a Facebook group intended for supporting and motivating picture book writers with their submission goals. In 2014, she launched the blog series ALL ABOUT SUBMISSIONS for which a team of experienced writers answers other writers’ questions regarding submissions. She is also a contributor to KidLIt411.com and a member of Marcie Flinchum Atkins' WE’RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER blogging team who answers monthly questions about writing.
Alayne has been happily married for 32 years and has one adult child, one granddaughter, and one cat. She currently resides in Dallas, Texas.
Her book, Butterfly Kisses for Grandma and Grandpa, is available in bookstores, libraries, and Amazon.com. It is also available at Baker & Taylor Books and Follett Library Resources. For more information on Butterfly Kisses for Grandma and Grandpa, art projects, and Alayne's story Making Peace with Being a Long-Distance Grandparent, visit butterflykissesgrandparents.com Alayne Kay Christian is an award-winning children’s book author, a certified life coach, and a blogger. Her independently published picture book Butterfly Kisses for Grandma and Grandpa (Blue Whale Press, LLC) received the Mom’s Choice Awards gold medal and an IPPY Awards silver medal. The anthology Jingle Bells: Tales of Holiday Spirit from Around the World (Melusine Muse Press) includes two short stories by Alayne, Christmas Spirit and Christmas in June.
Alayne Kay Christian
Award-Winning Children's Book Author
Alayne is available for school and library visits and speaking or readings at special events.
All content copyright 2014 Alayne Kay Christian